Prepare top 10 of boys’ football: Tigers and maroons fight for league, local supremacy | Sports
RK., TEAM REC. COMMENT
1. Urbana 1-0 Tigers raged past Rantoul on Tuesday before hosting their own tournament which started on Friday.
2. In the first three games of the Champaign Central 3-0 Maroons, they outperformed their opponents by 24-4, including two nine-goal games.
3. St. Thomas More 4-0 Sabers won the Peoria Christian Tournament by eliminating Metamora on penalties under a 0-0 rule.
4. Mahomet-Seymour 3-1 Bulldogs already have a couple of wins over Apollo conference rivals Mt. Zion, 5-0 overall.
5. Uni High 4-1 Illineks fell to Champaign Central, rebounded with a win against Monticello and also beat St. Joseph-Ogden.
6. Fisher / GCMS 3-0-1 Bunnies drew with Monticello, but have beaten other opponents 13-2, including Normal Calvary twice.
7. Monticello 4-1-1 Sages’ first loss was at Uni High after beating Oakwood / Salt Fork and Arthur Christian.
8. St. Joseph-Ogden 4-1-1 Spartans seem solid, beating Hoopeston Area and Oakwood / Salt Fork while also tying Danville.
9. Centennial 1-1 Chargers got their first successes on Thursday by trumping Mt. Zion, St. Thomas More also played close.
10. Hoopeston Area 4-1-1 Cornjerkers suffered their first loss to St. Joseph-Ogden but have a 19-4 scoring lead with four wins.
Colin Likas covers Illinois football and high school sports in the News Gazette. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @clikasNG.