TestUtah switches to walk-up appointments only in Utah
As the demand for COVID-19 tests increases, TestUtah is no longer accepting appointments and Utahns are now being tested on a first-come-first-serve basis at its locations.
The goal of this change, which went into effect over the weekend, is to cut waiting times, Utah Department of Health spokesman Tom Hudachko said in an email.
Most TestUtah sites are now operated by Orem company Nomi Health, so the Department of Health is releasing staff to do tests in schools. The state health department is still doing tests in its public health laboratory.
Appointment times were not listed on the TestUtah website on Monday morning in Utah. Instead, the website showed “Walk-ups Accepted” on each website with a link for people to “Pre-Register”. People were then asked to enter their contact information and any symptoms they had before being given a QR code with an ID number.
“This walk-up appointment applies: first come, first served. In the case of high volumes, you can be rejected without being checked, ”says the website.
Why switch to walk-up appointments?
The change was made “because of the recent surge in testing needs across the state,” Hudachko said.
“Typically, the test sites at all locations across the state offer both appointments and walk-ups. This model works well under normal circumstances, ”said Hudachko. “But in times of significant growth (like now), switching to a walk-up-only model has proven to be more efficient.”
By using the walk-up-only approach, “people are more likely to go to locations near them” rather than “drive long distances to a guaranteed date” to ensure that people are “more evenly distributed across locations” so Hudachko.
The department began phasing out the walk-up model last week, he said, and it went into full effect on Saturday.
When should I visit a website to make sure I get a test?
“We recommend that people arrive no earlier than 10 minutes before a test site opens,” said Hudachko. “We have enough tests and are prepared and ready for a steady flow of patients every day at every location.”
Hudachko said people can take a test during operating hours “when it is most convenient for them”.
The average waiting time is currently 15 to 30 minutes across all locations, he said, “and we are assuming that this time will remain constant.”
“This improved waiting time is a direct result of the switch to the walk-up model,” says Hudachko.
Will the sites run out of tests?
“We currently have the supply, staff and capacity to run thousands of tests per day at each test site,” said Hudachko, and “we are constantly evaluating supply based on demand across the state.”
“We have not and have not had any supply bottlenecks and do not assume that this will change,” he said.
Where are TestUtah sites this week?
All of these test sites offer PCR, rapid antigen tests, and NP (nasopharyngeal) swab PCR tests based on samples taken from deeper nasal cavities. And all of these test sites offer tests for children ages three and up.
The results are emailed with a link to the patient portal where the results can be accessed. For the most accurate results, health authorities recommend a PCR test for people with no symptoms. PCR results are available within 2 to 3 business days. Antigen (rapid) results are available within two hours. If you have problems accessing TestUtah results please call (801) 783-1829.
These TestUtah locations can now test children from one year old.
Box Elder County
• Brigham City Community Hospital, 950 Medical Dr., Brigham City (Drive-Through), Friday, 9 am-5pm to 7pm and Saturday, 9 am-8pm to 3pm. Register here.
• Bear River Middle School, 300 E 1500 S, Tremonton (east car park), Tuesday, September 14th – 3:30 pm to 7:00 pm Register here.
Cache County: Cache Valley Hospital, 2380 N. 400 E., North Logan (thoroughfare in the parking lot), Monday through Friday – 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Saturday – 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Sign in here.
• Bountiful Veterans Park, 740 p. 100 E., Bountiful (passage in the parking lot), Monday to Thursday – 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., Friday – 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. and Saturday – 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. Register here.
• 5-C Freeport West (from Antelope Drive, 300 W. and on to C Street) Clearfield, Monday 9/13; Wednesday 9/15. and Friday, September 17 – 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. – 12 noon Register here.
• Davis Technical College, 550 E. 300 S., Kaysville (test in parking lot P1), Tuesday through Friday – 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Register here.
Grand County: Grand Center, 182 North 500 West, Moab (passage in the west parking lot), Friday, 5:00 p.m. – 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday, September 18, 2018 until 3:00 p.m. Register here.
Iron County: Cedar Fun Center, 170 E. Fiddlers Canyon, Cedar City (transit), Thursday, 9 / 4–12 p.m. to 7 p.m., Friday, 9 / 5–9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday, 9/18/2018 –8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Clock Sign in here.
Juab County: Juab School District Office, 346 East 600 North (passage in the west parking lot of the Juab School District Office), Nephi, Tuesday, 9 / 2–12–7 p.m. Register here.
Salt Lake County
• Cannon Health Building, 288 N. 1460 W., Salt Lake City, Monday through Saturday – 7:00 am to 7:00 pm Register here.
• Mount Olympus Senior Center, 1634 E. Murray Holladay Road, Salt Lake City (drive through the parking lot), Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 2:00 pm and Saturday, 7:00 am to 3:00 pm Register here.
• Draper Senior Center, 1148 Pioneer Road, Draper (drive through the parking lot), Monday through Thursday – 7 am to 7 pm and Friday – 7 am to 2 pm Register here.
• J. Lynn Crane Park, 5355 W. Main Street, Herriman (drive through the northwest parking lot behind Herriman City Hall), Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 2:00 pm. Register here.
• West Valley (Maverik Center), 3200 S. Decker Lake Dr., West Valley City, (transit), Monday-Friday, 10 am-3pm Register here.
• Centennial Park, 5405 W. 3100 S., West Valley City (transit), Tuesday, 9 / 2–8–3pm and Wednesday – 9 / 3–9–7pm Register here.
• West Jordan City Hall, 8000 S. Redwood Rd., West Jordan (transit), Thursday, 9/16, Friday, 5:00 pm – 12:00 noon to 7:00 pm and Saturday, 9:00 am – 8:00 am until 3 p.m. Register here.
• Bluffdale City Park, 2400 W. 14400 S., Bluffdale (passage in the middle parking lot), Tuesday, 9 / 2pm – 12pm to 7pm. Register here.
• Rio Tinto Stadium, 9256 S. State St., Sandy, Tuesday, 9/14. and Thursday, 9:16 am to 11 am to 2 pm Register here.
• Elk Ridge Middle School, 3659 West 9800 South (passage in the North Parking Lot), South Jordan, Monday to Friday – 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Register here.
• Kearns Oquirrh Park Fitness Complex, 5658 Cougar Lane, Kearns (drive through the southeast parking lot closest to the outdoor swimming pool complex, entrance from Cougar Lane) Monday through Saturday – 7:00 am to 11:30 am Register here.
• Highland High School, 2166 South 1700 East (mobile van event in the high school parking lot, driveway 2100 S.), Salt Lake City, Wednesday, 9 / 3–4pm to 7pm. Register here.
Sanpete County: Central Utah Public Health Department, 20 p. 100 W., Mount Pleasant (drive through the Central Utah Public Health Department parking lot), Wednesday, 9/3–8pm. Register here.
Summit County: Park City High School, 1750 Kearns Blvd., Park City (west car park passage), Wednesday, 9/3–10pm to 7pm. Register here.
• Tooele Park and Ride, 2450 North State Route 36, Tooele (middle of the parking lot), Monday through Friday – 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Register here.
• Grantsville Baseball Stadium, 36 East Cherry Street, Grantsville (drive through the stadium parking lot). Thursday, 9 / 4–12pm to 7pm Register here.
• Provo Town Center Mall, 1200 Towne Center Blvd., Provo (drive through the parking lot), Monday through Thursday, 7:00 am to 1:00 pm, 1:30 pm to 7:00 pm Friday, 7:00 am to 1:00 pm 1.30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., 1.30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Register here.
• Timpanogos Regional Medical Center, 750 W. 800 N., Orem, (passage in the parking lot), Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. : 12:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Register here.
• Payson, 285 N. 1250 E., Payson (transit in the Utah County Health Department’s South Parking Lot), Wednesday, 9/3–10pm to 7pm and Thursday, 9/4–8pm to 3am. Register here.
• Lehi Round-up Rodeo Grounds, 105 N 500 W, Lehi, Friday, 5–12pm and Saturday, 6–8–8–3pm Register here ..
• Nebo School District Offices, 350 S. Main, (Mobile Van Testing in the South Parking Lot. Enter the Nebo School District Offices from 300 South and follow signs), Spanish Fork, Saturday, Sep 18-08 To 12 noon Register here.
• Russell Swenson Ballpark, 350 p. 300 E., Spanish Fork, Monday 13.09. and Friday, September 17th – 8:00 am to 12:00 pm Register here.
• Springville High School, 1015 E. 900 S. (exam in the field house parking lot), Springville, Tuesday, 9/14. and Thursday, September 16 – 8:00 am to 12:00 pm Register here.
• Saratoga Springs, 1320 North Redwood Road, (Mobile Van event in the parking lot of the old Smith’s grocery store on the corner of Redwood Road and Crossroads Blvd.), Saratoga Springs, Monday, 9/13. and Wednesdays from 9.15 am to 2 pm to 5 pm. Register here.
Washington County: Dixie Technical College, 610 S. Tech Ridge Drive, St. George (drive through the parking lot), Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Register here.
• Ogden Regional Medical Center, 5475 p. 500 E., Ogden (passage in the southwest parking lot), Monday to Thursday – 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Register here.
• North Shore Aquatic Center, 2480 N. 200 E., North Ogden (mobile van event in the back of the Aquatic Center parking lot) Tuesday, September 14th. and Thursday, 9 am / 4 pm to 2 pm to 5 pm Register here.
Additional test pages
These are mobile test teams of the UDOH / National Guard. Test results from these locations will be emailed to you in an encrypted file from [email protected] 30 minutes to several hours after your test is complete.
If the test site is busy, your results may take a while to process. If you don’t see email in your inbox, check spam or junk mail. Or try opening the email in a non-app browser and on a computer or device without a phone. If you’re having trouble opening the email or it doesn’t arrive within a few hours, call (385) 273-7878 for help.
The following page offers tests for people aged three and over, but there is no age limit for saliva tests as long as the child can produce the required amount of saliva on their own.
Duchesne County: Roosevelt / TriCounty Health Department, 409 p. 200 E., Roosevelt (vehicle test in the parking lot), Tuesday, 9 / 2pm – 12pm – 2pm. Register here.
Salt Lake County
• Utah Public Health Laboratory, 4431 p. 2700 W., Taylorsville (West Parking Lot), Monday-Saturday, 7 am-11 am Register here.
• Highland High School, 2166 South 1700 East (mobile van event in the high school parking lot, driveway 2100 S.), Salt Lake City, Monday, 9 am / 1 pm–4pm to 7pm. Register here.
• Murray High School, 5450 South State Street, Murray (mobile van event will be held in the high school parking lot on the State Street side of the school) Monday, 9:00 am–8:00pm. Register here.
Uintah County: TriCounty Health Department, 133 S 500 E, Vernal (Mobile delivery truck test in the parking lot of the Vernal office of the TriCounty Health Department, Tuesday, 9 / 2–8–10am Register here.
Utah County: Wride Park, 5806 Pony Express Pkwy., (Van testing event in the parking lot next to the baseball field) Eagle Mountain, Monday, 9:00 am-10:00pm-1:00 pm Register here.
Further test locations can be found at: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/covid-testing-locations-list.