USOPC ‘prepared and ready’ to discuss Utah Olympic bid
(ABC4) – Salt Lake City is one step closer to hosting the second venue for the 2030 Winter Olympics.
Suzanne Lyons, chair of the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee, announced Saturday that the committee is “prepared and ready” to discuss an application in Salt Lake City with the International Olympic Committee, IOC.
- The mountains surrounding Salt Lake City rise above flags in the Athletes Village that represent each country participating in the Winter Olympics on Wednesday, January 30, 2002. The 2002 Salt Lake Games run from February 8th to 24th. (AP photo / Laura Rauch)
- FILE – In this photo taken on Feb. 20, 2002, Jimmy Shea of the United States drives off during the men’s skeleton final at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City on his way to winning a gold medal in Park City, Utah. Shea was charged with sexually abusing a child in Utah. He appeared in court for the first time on Monday, March 29, 2021, in one case of serious sexual abuse of a child and two cases of sexual harassment. The alleged abuse occurred in 2020, court documents show. (AP Photo / Elise Amendola, File)
- SALT LAKE CITY, UNITED STATES: Brian Leetch (R) of the USA and Canada’s Scott Niedermayer (R) wrestle during the Men’s Gold Medal Ice Hockey match February 24, 2002 at the XIX. Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah. AFP PHOTO / Jeff HAYNES (Photo credit should be JEFF HAYNES / AFP via Getty Images)
- Jim Shea of the United States celebrates his final and gold medalist in the men’s skeleton finals at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Park City, Utah, Wednesday February 20, 2002. (AP Photo / David J. Phillip)
- SNOWBASIN, UNITED STATES: This photo shows the Snowbasin Ski Resort, Snowbasin, Utah, the location of the slopes for the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics, Feb. 18, 2001. The Olympic Games. The start of the descent is right from the summit. AFP PHOTO / George FREY (Photo credit should be GEORGE FREY / AFP via Getty Images)
- SALT LAKE CITY – FEBRUARY 23: A general view of downtown Salt Lake City at night during the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics on February 23, 2002 in Salt Lake City, Utah. (Photo by Brian Bahr)
- 2002 Winter Olympics: Salt Lake City, 02/24/02, West Valley City, Utah, USA – The Canadian men’s hockey team poses for a group photo after their 5-2 victory over the USA to win the gold medal in the men’s hockey game at the 2002 Winter Olympics. Victory came exactly 50 years ago to the day since Canada last won an Olympic gold medal in ice hockey. – Photo by Chris Trotman / Duomo / Corbisjeux Olympiques D’Hiver, Olympische Spelen, (Photo by Tim De Waele / Getty Images)
“We believe Salt Lake City would be an excellent candidate for the Winter Games and we want to see you back in the US as soon as possible,” she said.
According to Lyons, there was no significant discussion at the time about applications for Winter Games after the next Games, which will be held in Beijing, China, in 2022.
MASKS: Where the CDC recommends that Utahns should wear a mask based on new guidelines
“But we are ready and ready. Salt Lake City is so excited and so supportive of the idea of bringing the Winter Games back to the US and we will likely have some conversation as we are able to meet at social distance, “she explained. “Our various colleagues at the IOC are very well aware of our willingness and willingness to offer us.”
In addition to Salt Lake City, Vancouver, Canada, Sapporo in Japan and Barcelona in Spain are potentially in the running as venues for the Olympic Winter Games.
Catherine Raney Norman, Chair of the Salt Lake City, Utah Games Committee and Olympic speed skater, told ABC4.com in late June that she is optimistic that the Games return to Utah when.
“Utah is incredibly well positioned because we have our facilities, because we have carried on our legacy through our programming. We’re very sport-friendly: summer sports, winter sports, non-traditional sports, ”she said. “I really think it’s a question of when, not if. We just make sure we do our due diligence to be prepared for this moment. “
NEXT: PBS kids show ‘Arthur’ ends after 25 years
According to Raney Norman, there are several factors that make Utah the perfect location for future Olympics.
“2002 just represented these amazing games and we have these incredible facilities. We have a community that includes Olympic and Paralympic sports. We have heads of government who embrace this and it really is this near-perfect storm here in Utah to hopefully move forward with a return of more games, ”she said.
“One of the things that is always beneficial to athletes, and especially someone who’s been a distance athlete like me, is that Utah has that great height advantage which is suitable for distance athletes, so now you have world class facilities. You have environments that are conducive to performance, and you really have all of these other all-round services and partnerships. It’s really an ideal location for us, ”she added.
The committee raised $ 1.5 million for the Olympic bid through private funding and has an approved budget of $ 3.8 million.